The Centre for Astronomical Heritage (CfAH) is a non-profit company registered in South Africa (NPC 2016/295672/08).
Our mission is to record, preserve, and disseminate information about, South Africa’s tangible and intangible astronomical heritage.
Our objectives are:
- to be aware of, and respond to, opportunities and threats to South Africa’s astronomical heritage;
- to curate a digital repository of information which will serve as a virtual museum, research portal, and heritage conservation resource;
- to provide advice & training about matters relating to astronomical heritage;
- to promote education about, and raise public awareness of, South Africa’s astronomical heritage;
- to conduct original research into South Africa’s astronomical heritage;
- to support the restoration and curation of immovable & movable tangible astronomical heritage;
- to document astronomical aspects of cultural heritage & indigenous knowledge systems;
- to document astronomical aspects of immovable & movable tangible astronomical heritage;
- to act as a conservation body by assisting with site declaration and object registration; and
- to liaise with relevant national and international organizations.
Meet the Centre’s directors and collaborators.