Objective: Conduct original research into South Africa’s astronomical heritage.
Objective: Document astronomical aspects of cultural heritage & indigenous knowledge systems.
Objective: Document astronomical aspects of immovable & movable tangible astronomical heritage.
Conducting original research, and communicating the results, is a key objective of the Centre.
The following research projects are presently (2016-2017) being pursued:
- Register of Astronomers (Project leader: Chris de Coning)
- Register of Private Observatories (Project leader: Edward Foster)
- Oral History at the Royal Observatory (Project leader: Auke Slotegraaf)
- Biography Project (Project leader: Chris de Coning)
- Temporal Data Display (Project leader: Auke Slotegraaf)
- Collaborative Database (Project leader: Auke Slotegraaf)
- THP Environmental Monitoring (Project leader: Hans van der Merwe)
- SAAO Site Investigations (Project leader: Auke Slotegraaf)
The following research projects have been proposed; funding and other resources are being pursued:
- Starlight ZA: Saving the night sky by monitoring artificial light at night. [ALAN001ZAF17S]
- Boyden Observatory: Collection management and oral history recording. [BOYD002MAN17S]
- The Republic Observatory plate collection. [REPB001JHB___]
- The ESO Site Testing archive. [ESO.001WC.___]
- South Africa and the Rings of Uranus. [SAAO005CPT___]
- StellarVoices @SAAO: Oral histories of South Africa’s astronomy practitioners. [SAAO008CPT17S]
- Supporting Ongoing Archiving at the South African Astronomical Observatory [SAAO009CPT17S]
Collaborators and project partners are warmly invited to contact the Centre if they are interested in working together on these projects.